Nearly half of the U.S. has been buried under snow this year. In Charlottesville alone, we have had multiple school closures and heavy snowstorms. And during such storms, we constantly field calls about what to look for in terms of pet safety and what constitutes an emergency when driving conditions aren’t optimal (making the trip…
Marijuana. It has many nicknames — pot, weed, grass, reefer, honey oil, Mary Jane — but if it is consumed by your pets, it can be harmful. Marijuana toxicity in pets is more common than you may think! As more states and districts legalize marijuana, we anticipate seeing more marijuana toxicity in pets. Although people…
Luckily the majority of animals that are sprayed will be fine except for having a potent smell for days to over a week. After being sprayed most pets will act as if they are blinded and will have increased tear production and often a generalized red color to the eyes. Often you will see your pet pawing at its face and nose.
Mushroom Toxicity! The ground is soggy, and mushrooms are growing wild! Are They toxic? What should you do if your pet eats a mushroom? Tune into Dr. Tripp Stewart for all the answers!
In this installment of Vet Tips from Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital, Dr. Tripp Stewart discusses intervertebral disc disease in dogs.
Dr. Tripp Stewart discusses the costs associated with making a visit to the vet and what you need to know when you make your visit.
Today Dr. Tripp Stewart answers your questions! Feel free to ask him questions on the Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital Facebook page, and he’ll try to cover them in a future podcast.
Urinary incontinence in older female dogs is a very common — and sometimes annoying — problem. Why does it happen and how is it treated?
The compost pile, a seemingly innocuous feature of your outside garden, can seem like a great idea, for a variety of reasons. Unfortunately, this kind of eco-friendly heap of decomposing organic matter can also look like a free meal to your dog. As food in a compost pile starts to decay, a variety of molds can grow on it — molds that won’t always deter a dog from wanting to enjoy an outside feast. Many of these molds (at least 20 varieties are known to inhabit compost piles) produce mycotoxins that can have negative health effects. Ingesting even a small amount of mold can cause small muscle tremors and ataxia (which will cause your pet to look like he/she is drunk or having trouble walking) for a period of hours or days. A large amount of mold exposure can cause severe tremors, seizures and even death.