With the holiday season right around the corner, the thought of eating oversized, high-calorie meals is probably on a lot of people's minds (for better or worse). But for most dogs, eating a large meal is probably on their mind all the time, holiday season or not. Yes, dogs love to get into food, beyond what's given to them in their doggie dishes, and recently Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital has seen an above-average number of dogs that have done just that.
One of the least favorite times of year for most emergency staff is what we in the veterinary community like to refer to as "maggot season." While most people only think of maggots growing in spoiled food or on things that are no longer alive, maggots can also be a problem in our live pets.
During the warm-weather months, our slithery, venomous snake friends become more active. And snake bites are a very common problem in the summertime. Our pets are very curious creatures and tend to lead with their noses and their front limbs, so that’s where we see the most bites (on the face and front legs). These bites often cause extreme pain, swelling and bruising, and that’s typically what you as an owner will notice first, if you don’t happen to see the snake itself. You may also see puncture marks that may be bleeding or oozing.