Here at Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital, we’ve had two very interesting cases lately. This first one was a middle-aged dog who was disoriented. On examination, he was suddenly and completely blind! The second case was a 7-week-old puppy who was normal when the owner went to bed — but In the morning, when the owner woke up, the puppy couldn’t walk and was barely responsive. On examination, this puppy was also suddenly blind! What did these two cases have in common? They were both either on or near a horse farm. Ivermectin toxicity was suspected in both cases, and within a few hours (for the puppy) and a few days (for the older dog), they were completely back to normal.
No one wants to talk about it, but sometimes our pets get diarrhea. Diarrhea can range in consistency from soft to very watery, and in color from black to brown to bright red and bloody.
Ever worry about what your pet could be contracting when he/she stops and drinks out of a pond or other stagnant body of water? Many water-borne parasites can cause clinical signs that are anywhere from mild to severe.
Here’s a list of potentially dangerous items that you may have in your own home. Some of these you might already be aware of — but some will probably surprise you.
Since the weather warmed up this spring, you have probably noticed more and more of these awful little creatures. You might find them attached to your pet, on your pant leg or even attached to your skin. You probably know that they look like: a small head with a large body. We are, of course, talking about ticks, pesky little blood suckers that can bring diseases not only to your pets, but also to you.
Congestive heart failure is a condition in which the heart is unable to pump appropriately, causing fluid to back up into the lungs.
A seizure is any sudden and uncontrolled movement of an animal’s body caused by abnormal brain activity. If you’ve ever seen your pet have a seizure, it can be very frightening.
Canine distemper is a very serious, contagious virus found in dogs that attacks the immune system, making them more susceptible to other infections, including bacterial and parasitic infections.
Here at Greenbrier Emergency Animal Hospital, vomiting is one of our most commonly presented complaints.