As the weather warms, our slithery, venomous snake friends become more active. And snake bites are a very common problem in the summertime.
Xylitol: harmless to humans, toxic to dogs
While it might seem rather harmless for a dog to eat a sock, it can actually cause serious problems if the sock passes from the stomach into the small intestines.
My most unusual presentation was a Golden Retriever who walked into the hospital chewing on the end of a stick that was lodged under its skin.
As the heat and humidity of the summer months are approaching quickly here in Central Virginia, pet owners should be aware of the dangers of heat stroke, one of the more common summer pet emergencies in dogs.
Unfortunately, many pets get into toxins — even toxins that were meant to get rid of pests like mice and rats.
With spring upon us and Easter just behind us, two very common pet toxicities are out in many households: lilies, the number-one cat toxicity, and chocolate, the number-one dog toxicity.
When dogs get into a fight, it is very often a big dog attacking a smaller dog. This occurs so often, in fact, that the veterinary community has a widely recognized acronym for it — BDLD, which stands for “Big Dog-Little Dog” — and it almost always results in an emergency situation.
‘Tis the season for snow and ice, and we’re certainly getting our fair share this year. Besides watching out for wintry hazards on the road, we also need to be very vigilant in observing our pets for signs of antifreeze poisoning.