(434) 202-1616
Open nights, weekends & holidays. Open 365 days a year.
Call ahead if possible!
Blog banner

All Posts Tagged: Hazardous Food

Winter Hazards for your Pet

Now that the holidays are upon us, I thought it would be a good time to remind pet owners of the many common household items that can be hazards to pets during the winter season. I’ll start with a list of common food items that can present serious problems for pets. Many of these items have their very own blog entries, so please search our blog after you read this post if you’d like more detail. I am constantly surprised by how many people aren’t aware that these foods are potentially toxic to pets, so I don’t think we can list them too often.

Foods
Yeast bread dough: converts to alcohol, causes bloating
Moldy foods: contain toxins that can cause tremors
Macadamia nuts: can lead to weakness, depression, vomiting
Chocolate: GI and cardiac signs, can make pets hyper excitable
Onions, garlic, leeks, onion powder: can lead to anemia
Xylitol (contained in sugarless gum): causes low blood sugar, liver toxicity and blood clotting disorders
Grapes/raisins: can lead to kidney failure. For some dogs, it only takes a few.
Fatty foods: can cause pancreatitis

Plants
The following plants are toxic to pets:
Lilies: can cause kidney failure in cats
Holly: can cause gastrointestinal problems, lethargy
Mistletoe: can cause gastrointestinal problems and is a cardiotoxin
Poinsettia: can cause irritation to the mouth and gastrointestinal problems and is a mild toxin

Holiday-related items
Since many of the items below only come out seasonally, they can be a novelty — especially for those curious cats or puppies. Take care to pet-proof your holiday decorations!
Christmas tree water: can be laden with bacteria and/or pesticides; causes gastrointestinal signs
Ribbons/tinsel: cats especially love these, and they can cause linear foreign bodies requiring surgery
Liquid potpourri: can cause severe oral, ocular and dermal damage
Electric cords: can lead to electrocution, fluid in lungs

Other toxic items
Antifreeze: Extremely toxic to animals!! Lethargy, “drunk” behavior, kidney failure
Ice melt: irritating to skin, paws and mouth

Please keep your pets safe this holiday season. If you think your pet has ingested any of the above, please seek veterinary attention immediately. Many of these toxins can be mitigated with early veterinary intervention.

Dr. Elvira Hoskins

Read More